Nowadays more and more people are choosing to be self-employed or work in so-called free professions. Regardless of what we are aiming to do in our professional life (get promoted in the company structure or run our own business) it is necessary to constantly improve qualifications. Effective career development – no matter in what form – requires a certain capital, including both the knowledge and skills (hard and soft).Soft skills may include, among others, ability to solve problems, good communication with the environment, and negotiating skills. While not everyone has the required diplomatic qualifications there are ways to improve their negotiating skills, in 5 steps. Familiarize yourself with our tips.
1) Before starting any negotiations you should analyze the what specific skills you need to learn (or improve). Efficient negotiator must have a comprehensive and reliable use of the necessary information about a specific situation, intended purpose and the people with who you will be negotiating. Only having the appropriate “base” of knowledge, you can build successful strategy. Based on the main objectives, you can also formulate specific offers (preferably in the number of several alternatives) and plan which argumentation and persuasion techniques you will use.
2) You should realize that in the process of negotiation are important not only facts, but also how you communicate them. Your image have to be reliable and at the same time tailored to the specific situation. Analyze of the situation should be done on a regular basis – both on the basis of information provided verbally and gestures made by the other party. A good negotiator knows how to listen and observe and because of that is able to use negotiation techniques adapted to particular situation.
3) Having already basic knowledge about your abilities you should get familiar with some negotiations styles, which can be based on different competences. So that if your strength are argumentation skills you should choose negotiation style which leads to the domination. If your main ability is being elastic you should try to use the style of adjustment.
4) The next step is getting familiar with some persuasion techniques. The most famous are:
• Building the feeling of community with the other person – while talking to the client or supervisor you should focus on the characteristics that unite you. This may be a common goal, but are also important elements such as shared interests, ideas or tastes. The negotiation process, obviously, shouldn’t lead to getting involved too much into being friends with other side, however it is always good to add some warming image elements;
• The tactic called villain in disguise – it about creating the new imagine about yourself. Bargainer emphasize ostensible lack of competences and weaknesses in order to let guard down and manipulate the other side;
• Sustaining the process – this method is focused on tiring out opponent until the point he will offer himself concessions which will end the negotiation process and close the deal;
• Bluff – useful especially when you are on the losing position;
• Complimenting – in this technique very important is to adjust it to the particular person and situation. This method requires observation skills and also long practice, but it is very profitable in the long term perspective.
5) In order to improve your negotiation skills you have to practice a lot. Negotiations are present in every part of your life and are not only about money. However the rules are invariables. First of all you have to avoid personal attacks, focus on analyzing the problem and searching for compromise. First offer always should be higher than what you want, so that you will always have some margin for negotiations. What’s more never forget to be elastic.